Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for APPLETON-LE-STREET

APPLETON-LE-STREET, a township and a parish in Malton district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Roman road to Aldborough, near the river Rye, 3½ miles WNW of New Malton r. station. Acres, 1,140. Real property, £1,815. Pop., 185. Houses, 36. The parish contains also the townships of Swinton, Broughton, Amotherby, and Hildenley. Post Town, New Malton. Acres, 4,715. Real property, £8,117. Pop., 987. Houses, 213. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £515.* Patron, the Rev. J. J. Peach. The church has an early Norman tower, contains two recumbent effigies, and was recently restored in a manner incongruous with its date and style. Charities, £26.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Appleton le Street CP/AP       Malton PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Appleton le Street

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.