Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ASHREIGNEY, or Ring's-ash

ASHREIGNEY, or Ring's-ash, a parish in Torrington district, Devon; 4 miles WNW of Eggesford r. station, and 4 WSW of Chumleigh. Post Town, Chumleigh. Acres, 5,663. Real property, £3,718. Pop., 842. Houses, 169. The property is subdivided. The parish was a rendezvous of Fairfax in 1646, prior to his attack on Torrington. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £335.* Patron, the Rev. J. T. Johnson. The church is an ancient structure, of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with low square tower. Charities, £10.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Ashreigney CP/AP       Torrington PLU/RegD       Devon AncC
Place names: ASHREIGNEY     |     ASHREIGNEY OR RINGS ASH     |     RINGS ASH
Place: Ashreigney

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.