Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ASHTON (West)

ASHTON (West), a tything and a chapelry in Steeple Ashton parish, Wilts. The tything lies near the Great Western railway, 2½ miles SE of Trowbridge. Post town, Trowbridge. Acres, 2,040. Pop., 314. Houses, 67. The chapelry is conterminate with the tything; and is a p. curacy in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £200.* Patron, W. Long, Esq., of Rood-Ashton. The church is a neat modern edifice; and has a stone pulpit and a good organ.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a tything and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Steeple Ashton AP/CP       West Ashton Tg/CP       Wiltshire AncC
Place names: ASHTON     |     ASHTON WEST     |     WEST ASHTON
Place: West Ashton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.