Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BALBY-WITH-HEXTHORPE

BALBY-WITH-HEXTHORPE, a township-chapelry in Doncaster parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Don 2 miles SW of Doncaster r. station. It has a post office under Doncaster. Acres, 1,567. Real property, £4,844 Pop., 1,058. Houses, 241. Tanning, brickmaking, and sand-digging are largely carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £150. Patron, the Rev. R. J. Banks. The church was built in 1847. There are a Wesleyan chapel of 1868, a P. Methodist chapel, and a national school. The Quakers, under George Fox held their first meetings here.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Balby With Hexthorpe Tn/CP       Doncaster Tn/CP/AP       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Balby

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.