Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BARFRESTON, or Barston

BARFRESTON, or Barston, a parish in Eastry district, Kent; on the Dover and Canterbury railway, near Shepherd's Well station, and 6½ miles NW of Dover. Post town, Goodnestone, under Sandwich. Acres, 500. Real property, £641. Pop., 144. Houses, 26. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged early to the see of Canterbury; and passed, in 1081, to Hugh de Port, constable of Dover. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £182.* Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church consists of nave and chancel, separated by a circular arch; is one of the most remarkable structures of its class in England; exhibits rich exterior decorations, in corbels, wreaths, and other sculptures; and was well restored in 1840.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Barfreston CP/AP       Eastry PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place names: BARFRESTON     |     BARFRESTON OR BARSTON     |     BARSTON
Place: Barfreston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.