Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BARRINGTON (Great)

BARRINGTON (Great), a parish in the district of Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucester; on the verge of the county, 3½ miles NW of Burford, and 7 SW of Shipton r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Barrington, under Faringdon. Acres, 2,983. Real property, £3,517. Pop., 496. Houses, 107. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, prior to the Conquest, to Earl Harold; and belongs now to Lord Dynevor. The present mansion on it is an elegant modern edifice, within a park about 3 miles in circuit; and a previous mansion was built in 1734 by Lord Chancellor Talbot, and soon afterwards destroyed by fire. Quarries of excellent freestone are worked; and supplied the material for Blenheim House and for the restoration of Westminster Abbey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £221. Patron, Lord Dynevor. The church is a handsome building, with pinnacled tower; was erected in the time of Henry VII.; and has monuments of Captain Edward Bray and Lord Chancellor Talbot. Charities, £17.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Barrington CP       Great Barrington CP/AP       Stow on the Wold PLU/RegD       Gloucestershire AncC
Place names: BARRINGTON     |     BARRINGTON GREAT     |     GREAT BARRINGTON
Place: Great Barrington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.