Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BARTON-TURF

BARTON-TURF, a parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk; 6½ miles SE by S of North Walsham r. station, and 11 NE of Norwich. Post Town, Smallburgh, under Norwich. Acres, 1,599. Real property, £2,643. Pop., 379. Houses, 88. The living is a vicarage, united to the rectory of Irstead, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £360.* Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is good, and has a lofty tower.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Barton Turf CP/AP       Smallburgh PLU/Inc/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place: Barton Turf

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.