Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BAUGHURST

BAUGHURST, a village and a parish in Kingsclere district, Hants. The village stands near the Roman Port way to Silchester, 5½ miles S of Aldermaston r. station, and 7 NNW of Basingstoke; and has a post office under Basingstoke. The parish includes also the tythings of Ham and Inhurst. Acres, 1,675. Real property, £1,210. Pop., 563. Houses, 98. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £188.* Patron, the bishop of Winchester. The church is a recent erection of brick and stone, with a lofty spire. There are two dissenting chapels.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Baughurst CP/AP       Kingsclere PLU/RegD       Hampshire AncC
Place: Baughurst

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.