Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BENSINGTON, or Benson

BENSINGTON, or Benson, a village and a parish in the district of Wallingford and county of Oxford. The village stands on the river Thames, 1¾ mile NNE of Wallingford r. station; is a considerable place; and has a post office, ‡ of the name of Benson, under Wallingford.-It occupies the site of a town of the ancient Britons; which was taken from them, in 572, by the West Saxons; held by the latter till 775; and surrendered then to the Mercians. The parish includes also the hamlets of Fifield, Roke, and Crowmarsh-Battle or Preston-Crowmarsh. Acres, 2,922. Real property, £6,382. Pop., 1,169. Houses, 282. The property is divided among a few. A very ancient manor-house is in the hamlet of Fifield. A Maison Dieu was founded in the time of Henry VI., by William de la Pole, Duke of Suffolk; and given to the University of Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £250.* Patron, Christ Church college, Oxford. The church is partly ancient, variously late pointed Norman and decorated; has a modern tower; contains a Norman font and two brasses; and is very good. There are national and British schools, and charities £80.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Benson CP/AP       Oxfordshire AncC
Place names: BENSINGTON     |     BENSINGTON OR BENSON     |     BENSON
Place: Benson

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.