Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BILLINGE

BILLINGE, a village, two townships, and a chapelry in Wigan parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles S of Orrel r. station, and 4½ SW by W of Wigan; and has a post office under Wigan. The townships are called Billinge-Chapel-End and Billinge-Higher-End. Acres of B.-Chapel-End, 1,129. Real-property, £11,309; of which £7,580 are in mines. Pop., 2,015. Houses, 389. Acres of B.-Higher-End, 1,549. Real property, £5,616; of which £2,000 are in mines, and £641 in quarries. Pop., 1,051. Houses, 204. Billinge Hill here is 633 feet high; has a beacon on the top; and commands a view on one side to Ingleborough, on another to the Welsh mountains. Some of the inhabitants are employed in cotton-mills. The chapelry consists of the two townships; and is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £403.* Patron, the Rector of Wigan. The church is good. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £117.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, two townships, and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Wigan AP/Tn/CP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Billinge

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.