Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BINSEY

BINSEY, a small village and a parish in the district of Abingdon and county of Oxford. The village stands on the right bank of the Isis, near the West Midland railway, 1½ mile NNW of Oxford. It was originally called Thorney, from a profusion of thorns around it; and it afterwards took the name of Binsey, signifying the Island of Prayer, from its being a retreat of nuns and a great resort of pilgrims. A rude church was constructed adjacent to it, about the year 730, by St. Frideswide; and this, together with a reputed holy well, drew crowds of pilgrims for ages, insomuch that 24 inns stood in the neighbourhood for their accommodation. The parish comprises 470 acres; and its Post Town is Oxford. Real property, £1,002. Pop., 67. Houses, 15. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £90. Patron, Christ Church College, Oxford. The church is an ancient brick building, without a tower.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a small village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Binsey AP/CP       Oxfordshire AncC
Place names: BINSEY     |     THORNEY
Place: Binsey

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.