Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BIRSTALL, or Burstall

BIRSTALL, or Burstall, a chapelry in Belgrave parish, Leicestershire; on the river Soar, 2 miles NW of Sileby r. station, and 3¼ N by E of Leicester. Post town, Belgrave, under Leicester. Acres, 1,260. Real property, £3,862. Pop., 405. Houses, £95. The property is divided among a few. Birstall House is the seat of the Worswicks. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Belgrave, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is modern. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Belgrave Tn/AP/CP       Birstall Ch/CP       Leicestershire AncC
Place names: BIRSTALL     |     BIRSTALL OR BURSTALL     |     BURSTALL
Place: Birstall

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.