Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BLACKMORE

BLACKMORE, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; 3½ miles ESE of Chipping-Ongar r. station, and 4 NW by W of Ingatestone. It has a post office under Ingatestone, and a fair on 21 Aug. Acres, 2,576. Real property, £4,802. Pop., 644. Houses, 144. The property is divided among a few. An Augustinian priory was founded on the site of the manor house, by the De Sampfords, in the time of Henry II; passed, under Cardinal Wolsey, to his colleges at Oxford-and Ipswich, and afterwards to Waltham Abbey; and was given, at the dissolution, to John Smith. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £83. Patrons, the Representatives of the lateA. Crickett, Esq. The church belonged to the priory; and is ancient, small, and good. Charities, £54.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Blackmore CP/AP       Ongar PLU/RegD       Essex AncC
Place: Blackmore

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.