Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BLADON

BLADON, a village and a parish in Woodstock district, Oxford. The village stands adjacent to the S end of Blenheim Park, 1¼ mile ENE of Handborough r. station, and 2 S of Woodstock; and it has a post office under Woodstock. Pop., 395. Houses, 87. The parish includes also the hamlet of Hensington. Acres, 1,350. Real property, £2,857. Pop., 666. Houses, 128. The manor belongs to the Duke of Marlborough. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Woodstock, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £329.* Patron, the Duke of Marlborough. The church was built in 1804; was remodelled and enlarged in 1862; and is in a very early pointed style. There are two Methodist chapels, a mixed school, and charities £251. Dr. Griffith, who defended Basing House, was rector.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Bladon CP/AP       Woodstock PLU/RegD       Oxfordshire AncC
Place: Bladon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.