Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BLEDLOW

BLEDLOW, a village and a parish in Wycombe district, Bucks. The village stands in a romantic ravine, called the Glyde, on the verge of the county, adjacent to the Thame and Maidenhead railway, 2 miles SW of Princes Risborough; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Tring.—The parish includes also a liberty called Bledlow-Ridge. Acres, 4,130. Real property, £4,891. Pop., 1,189. Houses, 232. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £175.* Patron, Lord Carrington. The church is early English; has interesting features, injured by white-wash; and stands on the brink of the ravine at the village.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Bledlow AP/CP       Wycombe PLU/RegD       Buckinghamshire AncC
Place: Bledlow

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.