Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BODENHAM

BODENHAM, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Leominster, Hereford. The village stands near the river Lug, 2 ½ miles E of Dinmore r. station, and 6 ½ SSE of Leominster; and it has a post office under Leominster, and was once a market-town.—The parish includes also the townships of Bowley, Bryan-Maund, Whitchurch-Maund, and the Moor. Acres, 5,260. Real property, £7,463. Pop., 1,096. Houses, 231. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £686.* Patron, John Arkwright, Esq. The church is ancient and good; and has an incomplete spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £30, and other charities with £24.-The subdistrict comprises six parishes, parts of two other parishes, and a chapelry. Acres, 24,884. Pop., 4,021. Houses, 846.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Bodenham CP/AP       Bodenham SubD       Herefordshire AncC
Place: Bodenham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.