Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BODVEAN, or Bodfaen

BODVEAN, or Bodfaen, a parish in Pwllheli district, Carnarvon; 2½ miles SE of Nevin, and 4 WNW of Pwllheli r. station. It has a post office under Pwllheli. Acres, 2,572. Real property, £1,434. Pop., 382. Houses, 84. The property is divided between two. Bodvean Hall is the seat of Lord Newborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £198. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is modern, and has monuments of the Wynnes. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and a slightly endowed school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Buan CP/AP       Pwllheli PLU/RegD       Caernarvonshire AncC
Place names: BODFAEN     |     BODVEAN     |     BODVEAN OR BODFAEN
Place: Buan

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.