Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BOLAM

BOLAM, a township and a parish in Castle Ward district, Northumberland. The township lies between the rivers Blyth and Wansbeck, near the Devil's causeway, a branch of Watling-street, and on the Morpeth and Scots Gap railway, near Angerton station, 8 miles WSW of Morpeth. Acres, 1,119. Pop., 102. Houses, 21.—The parish includes also the townships of Bolam vicarage, Trewick, Gallow Hill, Shortflatt, Harnham, Bradford, and Belsay; the last of which has a post office under Newcastle-on-Tyne. Acres, 7,336. Real property, £7,682. Pop., 685. Houses, 136. The property is divided among a few. Bolam manor belonged anciently to the De Bolams; passed to the Horsleys; and went from them to Lord Decies. Harnham manor belonged, in the time of Charles II., to Colonel Philip Babbington, governor of Berwick. Belsay Castle belonged formerly to the Middletons; and belongs now to the baronet family of Monck. A stone coffin was found in a tumulus on Bolam moor. Coal and limestone occur. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £238.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, in good condition; and contains the effigies of a Knight Templar, supposed to be Sir Walter de Bolam, and a tomb of the Middletons.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Bolam Tn/AP/CP       Castle Ward PLU/RegD       Northumberland AncC
Place: Bolam

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.