Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BOLTON-BY-BOWLAND, or West Bolton

BOLTON-BY-BOWLAND, or West Bolton, a parish in the district of Clitheroe and W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ribble, at the verge of the county, 4 miles NNE of Chatburn r. station, and 6 NE by N of Clitheroe. It includes the hamlet of Forest-Beck; and has a post office, of the name of Bolton-by-Bowland, under Blackburn. Acres, 5,792. Real property, £6,242. Pop., 739. Houses, 152. Part of the surface lay within the ancient Bowland forest. Bolton Hall was formerly the seat of Sir R. Pudsey; gave shelter to Henry VIafter the battle of Hexham; and is now the property of Mrs. A. Littledale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £335.* Patron, Mrs. A. Littledale. The church is later English, was restored in 1850, and contains a tomb of Sir R. Pudsey and his three wives and twenty-five children. There are an Independent chapel, a sessions courthouse, an endowed school with £34 a year, charities £20, and a workhouse.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Bolton By Bowland AP/CP       Yorkshire AncC
Place names: BOLTON BY BOWLAND     |     BOLTON BY BOWLAND OR WEST BOLTON     |     WEST BOLTON
Place: Bolton By Bowland

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.