Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BORROWASH

BORROWASH, a village in Ockbrook parish, Derbyshire; on the Midland railway, near the Derby canal and the Derwent river, 4 ½ miles ESE of Derby. It has a station on the railway, a post office under Derby, a Wesleyan chapel, a cotton and lace factory, and flourmills. Elvaston Castle, the seat of the Earl of Harrington, is near it.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Ockbrook CP/AP       Derbyshire AncC
Place: Borrowash

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.