Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BOWDON, or Bowden

BOWDON, or Bowden, a village, a township, and a parish in Altrincham district, Cheshire. The village stands on the Roman road from Kinderton, adjacent to the Manchester, Knutsford, and Northwich railway, near the river Bollin, ¼ of a mile SW of Altrincham; and it has a station on the railway, with refreshment rooms and telegraph, and a post office under Manchester. It enjoys fine air and charming environs; and is a favourite resort of ruralizing parties from Manchester.-The township includes the village, and comprises 828 acres. Real property, £14,322. Pop., 1,827. Houses, 301.—The parish contains also the townships of Altrincham, Baguley, Timperley, Hale, Ashley, Dunham-Massey, Carrington, Partington, and Bollington. Acres, 17,971. Real property, £90,900. Pop., 14,822. Houses, 2,779. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged to the priory of Birkenhead; and was given, by Henry VIII., to the see of Chester. Dunham Park is the seat of the Earl of Stamford, and has fine grounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £460.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church stands on elevated ground; was rebuilt after the model of the previous one, in the later English style, in 1860, at a cost of about £12,000; and comprises nave, chancel, aisles, transepts, chapel, and vestry, with a tower. The p. curacy of St. John is a separate charge, constituted in 1866. Patron, the Bishop ofThe church was completed in 1867, at a cost of £5,350; and is in the early English style, and cruciform. The chapelries of Altrincham, Carrington, Dunham-Massey, Ringway, and Timperley, are separate benefices. There are numerous dissenting-chapels, numerous public schools, and charities £414.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Bowdon AP/CP       Altrincham PLU       Cheshire AncC
Place names: BOWDEN     |     BOWDON     |     BOWDON OR BOWDEN
Place: Bowdon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.