Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BOXTED

BOXTED, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Stour, 2 miles ESE of Neyland, and 5½ N of Colchester r. station. It has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 3,082. Real property, £5,019. Pop., 935. Houses, 219. Boxted Hall is the seat of the Poleys. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £110.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church has a curious monument of Sir J. Poley; and is very good. Charities, £10.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Boxted AP/CP       Lexden and Winstree PLU/RegD       Essex AncC
Place: Boxted

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.