Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BRAILES

BRAILES, two hamlets, a parish, and a division in Warwick. The hamlets are Upper and Lower Brailes; they lie 3 and 4 miles ESE of Shipston-on-Stour, and about 6 NE by E of Moreton r. station; they have a post office,‡ of the name of Brailes, under Shipston-on-Stour; and one of them was formerly a market-town, and has still a fair on Easter Thursday. The parish includes also the hamlets of Chelmscott and Winderton; and is in the district of Shipston-on-Stour. Acres, 5,220. Real property, £10,548. Pop., 1,347. Houses, 305. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, before the Conquest, to Edwin Earl of Mercia; was given, by the Conqueror, to Henry de Newburgh; and passed to the Beauchamps. Brailes House is now the seat of the Sheldons. Brailes Cover is a meet of the Warwick hounds. Some parts of the surface are hilly and have fine views. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £344.* Patron, J. Jordan. Esq. The church is partly early English, partly perpendicular, and is in good condition. There are a Quakers chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel and school, an endowed school with £64 a year, a national school, a library and reading room, and charities £68.-The division contains fifteen parishes; and is in Kington hundred. Acres, 35,242. Pop., 7,369. Houses, 1,575.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "two hamlets, a parish, and a division"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Brailes AP/CP       Warwickshire AncC
Place: Brailes

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.