Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BRASTED

BRASTED, a village and a parish in Sevenoaks district, Kent. The village stands on the river Tarent, 4 miles WNW of Sevenoaks, and 5½ N of Edenbridge r. station; and it has a post office under Sevenoaks, and fairs on Ascension-day and 25 Sept.—The parish comprises 4,456 acres. Real property, £5,877. Pop., 1,182. Houses, 212. Brasted Park is the seat of William Tipping, Esq.; and was once the retreat of Louis Napoleon. The land lies on the edge of the Weald; and has fine views. Paper mills are on the Tarent. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £673.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church, interiorly, is chiefly early English,-exteriorly, of various characters. There are a Calvinist chapel, a national school, and charities £34.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Brasted CP/AP       Sevenoaks PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place: Brasted

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.