Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BRIERCLIFFE

BRIERCLIFFE, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township bears the name of Briercliffe-with-Extwistle; and lies near the East Lancashire railway, 3 miles NE by E of Burnley. Post Town, Burnley. Acres, 4,180. Real property, £5,222. Pop., 1,332. Houses, 263. There are quarries and cotton mills. The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Pop., 2,024. Houses, 393. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £.250.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church was built in 1840. There are two Baptist chapels and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Whalley CP/AP/Tn       Lancashire AncC
Place: Briercliffe

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.