Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BURNESIDE, or Byrneshead

BURNESIDE, or Byrneshead, a chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland; on the river Kent and the Windermere railway, 2 miles NNW of Kendal. It has a station on the railway, and includes the townships of Strickland-Kettle, Strickland-Roger, and part of Skelsmergh; and its Post Town is Kendal. Rated property, £6,772. Pop., exclusive of the part of Skelsmergh, 905. Houses, 173. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. Burneside Hall was formerly the seat of the Braithwaites, one of whom wrote "Drunken Barnaby's Journal;" and is now the seat of the Gales. Godmond Hall belonged formerly to the Godmonds, and was fortified. There is a "holy well." Paper making is carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £120. Patrons, Trustees. The church was rebuilt in 1825.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Burneside Ch       Kendal CP/AP/Tn       Westmorland AncC
Place names: BURNESIDE     |     BURNESIDE OR BYRNESHEAD     |     BYRNESHEAD
Place: Burneside

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.