Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BURTON-UPON-STATHER

BURTON-UPON-STATHER, a village and a parish in Glanford-Brigg district, Lincoln. The village stands on a "staith" or creek of the river Trent, near that river's mouth, 3 miles NNE of Keadby r. station, and 11½ NW of Glanford-Brigg. It has a post office, of the name of Burton, under Brigg; it figured formerly as a considerable market town; it serves now as a depôt station for the Hull and Gainsborough steam-vessels; and it carries on a considerable trade in meal. The parish includes also the hamlets of Normandy, Thealby, and part of Coleby. Acres, 3,860. Real property, £6,038. Pop., 983. Houses, 222. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Flixborough, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is of the 13th century, and in good condition. There are two Methodist chapels and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Burton upon Stather AP/CP       Glanford Brigg PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Burton upon Stather

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.