Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CADBURY (North)

CADBURY (North), a village and a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset. The village stands on an eminence, 2 miles NE of Sparkford r. station, and 5 WSW of Wincanton; and has a post office under Bath. The parish includes also the hamlets of Galhampton and Woolston. Acres, 2,810. Real property, £7,220. Pop., 997. Houses, 236. The manor belonged to the Newmarshes, the Botreauxes, and the Hungerfords; and passed to the Bennetts. The manor house was built in 1581, by the third Earl of Huntingdon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £700.* Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church was built, in the time of Henry VI., by the Botreauxes; and contains several ancient monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school. Ralph Cudworth was rector.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: North Cadbury AP/CP       Wincanton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place names: CADBURY     |     CADBURY NORTH     |     NORTH CADBURY
Place: North Cadbury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.