Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CADBURY (South)

CADBURY (South), a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset; adjacent to the Frome and Yeovil railway, 1½ mile E of Sparkford r. station, and 6 WSW of Wincanton. Post Town, North Cadbury, under Bath. Acres, 800. Real property, with Sutton-Monks, Weston, and Bampfylde, £4,663. Pop., 287. House, 56. The property is divided among a few. Cadbury House is the seat of J. Bennett, Esq. Cadbury fort, situated on the northern extremity of a ridge of hills, and anciently called Camelet, is thought to have been a Roman station, and probably was the Cathbrigion where Arthur routed the Saxons in a great battle; has yielded weapons, articles of camp equipage, a silver horseshoe, and many Roman coins; comprises four concentric deep ditches, and as many massive ramparts, enclosing an area of about 20 acres; and has in the centre a moated mound, called King Arthur's Palace, and in the fourth ditch, a spring called King Arthur's Well. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, not reported.* Patron, J. Bennett, Esq. The church is good


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: South Cadbury CP/AP       Wincanton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place names: CADBURY     |     CADBURY SOUTH     |     CAMELET     |     SOUTH CADBURY
Place: South Cadbury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.