Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CAMEL (Queen)

CAMEL (Queen), a village and a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset. The village stands near the river Yeo, on an affluent of that river, 1 mile SW of Sparkford r. station, and 6 ENE of Ilchester; and has a post office‡ under Taunton. Fairs are held at it on 11 June and 25 Oct.; and a sulphurous spring, of some note, is a mile to the west. The parish comprises 2,498 acres. Real property, £4,975. Pop., 734. Houses, 152. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £222.* Patron, P. S. J. Mildmay, Esq. The church is very good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £11.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Queen Camel CP/AP       Wincanton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place names: CAMEL     |     CAMEL QUEEN     |     QUEEN CAMEL
Place: Queen Camel

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.