Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CARLTON-SCROOP

CARLTON-SCROOP, a parish in Grantham district, Lincoln; on a branch of the river Witham, 2¾ miles W of Ancaster r. station, and 6 NNE of Grantham. It has a post office under Grantham. Acres, 1,342. Real property, £2,937. Pop., 266. Houses, 53. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £386.* Patron, alt. Earl Brownlow and two others. The church is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £13.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Carlton Scroop AP/CP       Grantham PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Carlton Scroop

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.