Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CASTLEFORD

CASTLEFORD, a township and a parish in Pontefract district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on Watling-street, the river Aire, and the York and Leeds railway, 7½ miles ENE of Wakefield; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Normanton. The Roman station Legiolium is supposed to have been here; and Roman coins, urns, pavements, and substructions have been found. Coal mining, glass-making, and earthenware manufacture are largely carried on; and have occasioned much recent increase of population. A railway hence to Ardsley was opened in May, 1869. Acres, 540. Real property, £9,023. Pop., 3,876. Houses, 813. The parish includes also the township of Glass-Houghton. Acres, 2,040. Real property, £11,395. Pop., 4,365. Houses, 926. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £555.* Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is ancient and cruciform. There are a school church, an Independent chapel of 1862, four Methodist chapels, and two public schools.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Castleford CP/AP       Pontefract PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Castleford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.