Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CATFIELD

CATFIELD, a parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk; adjacent to Barton and Hickling meres, 5¾ miles SE of Worstead, and 10 NNE of Brundall r. station. It has a post office under Norwich. Acres, 2,393. Real property, £4,418. Pop., 660. Houses, 162. The property is much subdivided. Catfield House is the seat of the Rev. B. L. Cubitt. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £606. Patron, alt. the Bishop of N. and the Rev. B. L. Cubitt. The church is partly later English. There is a P. Methodist chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Catfield AP/CP       Smallburgh PLU/Inc/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place: Catfield

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.