Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHARING-CROSS

CHARING-CROSS, a subdistrict and a railway in London. The subdistrict is part of the parish and district of St. Martin-in-the-Fields; includes St. James Palace and Whitehall; and comprises 241 acres of land and 22 of the Thames. Pop., 11,071. Houses, 1,248. The railway was authorised in 1859-61, to go from Charing Cross to the South-Eastern at London bridge, and thence, across the Thames, to Cannon-street; and was opened to London bridge in 1864, to Cannon-street in 1866.

(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a subdistrict and a railway"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 3rd order divisions")
Administrative units: London AncC
Place: Charing Cross

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.