Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHARTER-HOUSE-HINTON

CHARTER-HOUSE-HINTON, a parish in Bath district, Somerset; on the verge of the county, near the Ridgeway, 1 mile S of Freshford r. station, and 4¼ SSE of Bath. It has a post office under Bath. Acres, 2,890. Real property, £4,527. Pop., 615. Houses, 135. A Carthusian priory was founded here, in 1232, by Ela, Countess of Salisbury; and some remains of it, supposed to have been the chapter house, the refectory, and the dormitory, still exist. Hinton Great Abbey House belonged formerly to the Hungerfords; is now the seat of Lieut.-Col. Cotgrave; and contains some fine paintings. Some Roman relics, including coins, pottery, and traces of an amphitheatre, have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £100.* Patron, the Vicar of Norton-St. Philip. The church is ancient. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Bath PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Hinton Charterhouse

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.