Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHEADLE

CHEADLE, a town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Stafford. The town stands in a valley, environed by high hills, near the river Tean and the Uttoxeter canal, 3 miles W by S of Oakamoor r. station, and 9 ESE of Stoke-upon-Trent. It has a post office‡ under Stafford, a banking office, three chief inns, a parish church, four dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic church, a Free school, a national school, and a workhouse; and is a seat of petty sessions, and a polling-place. The parish church was built in 1837; is in the decorated English style; and has a fine stained glass eastern window. The Roman Catholic church was built in 1843-6, by the Earl of Shrewsbury, after designs by Pugin, at a cost of about £60, 000; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chapels, with a fine western tower and spire, 200 feet high. Markets are held on Fridays; and fairs on 7 Jan., 25 March, Holy Thursday, 4 July, 21 Aug., and 18 Oct. Tape-making, malting, rope-making, and leather-dressing, are carried on. Pop., 3, 191. Houses, 701. The parish includes also the hamlets of Freehay, Cheadle-Grange, Cheadle-Mill, Brookistoue, Huntley, and part of Oakamoor. Acres, 6, 701. Real property, £18, 696; of which £1, 872 are in mines. Pop., 4, 803. Houses, 1, 034. The property is much subdivided. Coal and iron-stone abound. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £438.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The chapelries of Freehay and Oakamoor are separate benefices. Charities, £63.—The sub-district contains also part of Checkley parish. Acres, 12, 344. Pop. 7, 107. Houses, 1, 541. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Alton, containing the parishes of Alton, Cauldon, and Bradley-in-the-moors; the sub-district of Ipstones, containing the parishes of Ipstones, Kingsley, Cheddleton, and part of Checkley; and the sub-district of Dilhorne, containing the parishes of Dilhorne, Caverswall, and Draycott-in-the-moors. Acres, 55, 146. Poor-rates, £5, 275. Pop. in 1841, 17, 859; in 1861, 20, 988. Houses, 4, 390. Marriages, 146; births, 657, -of which 54 were illegitimate; deaths, 353, -of which 100 were at ages under 3 years, and 15 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1, 379; births, 6, 682; deaths, 4, 065. The places of worship in 1851 were 20 of the Church of England, with 7, 627 sittings; 5 of Independents, With 797 s.; 14 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 2, 030 s.; 2 of New Connexion Methodists, with 381 s.; 12 of Primitive Methodists, with 1, 382 s.; and 4 of Roman Catholics, with 1, 670 s. The schools were 30 public day schools, with 2, 723 scholars; 26 private day schools, with 460 s.; 40 Sunday schools, with 3, 239 s.; and 3 evening schools for adults, with 73 s.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Cheadle CP/AP       Cheadle SubD       Cheadle PLU/RegD       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Cheadle

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.