Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHECKLEY

CHECKLEY, a parish in Cheadle district, Stafford; on the river Tean, 2 miles NE of Leigh r. station, and 3¼ SSE of Cheadle. It contains the villages of Tean, Tole, Beamhurst, and Hollington, and part of the hamlet of Foxt; the last lying detached within Ipstones parish. Post town, Upper Tean, under Stafford. Acres, 6, 036. Real property, £8, 837. Pop., 2, 428. Houses, 531. Many of the inhabitants are employed in tape and cotton manufacture. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Hollington, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £576.* Patron, Rev. E. Philips. The church is ancient, and has a tower; and the churchyard contains three pyramidal stones, with ancient rude sculptures. The vicarage of Tean is a separate benefice. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £194.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Checkley AP/CP       Cheadle PLU/RegD       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Checkley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.