Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHELWOOD

CHELWOOD, a parish in Clutton district, Somerset; 2 miles SE of Pensford, and 5 SSW of Saltford r. station. It has a post office under Bristol, and a fair on 24 June. Acres, 1, 077. Real property, £1, 715. Pop., 180. Houses, 41. The property is divided between two. The surface is diversified with hill and vale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £200.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is ancient, and was recently restored. There is an endowment of £87 a year for an Independent chapel and for apprenticing.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Chelwood AP/CP       Clutton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Chelwood

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.