Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHETTON

CHETTON, a parish in Bridgnorth and Cleobury-Mortimer districts, and a sub-district in Bridgnorth district, Salop. The parish lies on an affluent of the Severn, 4 miles SW of Bridgnorth r. station; and is chiefly in Bridgnorth district, but includes Loughton chapelry in Cleobury-Mortimer district. Post town, Bridgnorth. Acres, 4, 936. Real property, £6, 992. Pop., 590. Houses, 120. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to Godiva. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Loughton, and with the rectories of Deuxhill and Glazeley, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £772.* Patron, T. W. W. Browne, Esq. The church is partly Norman. Charities, £14. -The sub-district contains sixteen parishes, the main part of Chetton parish, and part of another. Acres, 38, 589. Pop., 4, 725. Houses, 952.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Chetton AP/CP       Bridgnorth PLU/RegD       Shropshire AncC
Place: Chetton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.