Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHINNOR

CHINNOR, a village and a parish in the district of Wycombe, and county of Oxford. The village stands on the verge of the county, under the Chiltern hills, near Icknield-street, 2½ miles SW of Princes-Risborough r. station, and 5¼ SE of Thame; and has a post office under Tetsworth. It was burnt by Prince Rupert on the morning of the battle of Chalgrove. The parish includes also the liberty of Henton. Acres, 2, 687. Real property, £4, 655. Pop., 1, 296. Houses, 296. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £509.* Patron, Sir J. Musgrave, Bart. The church is decorated English; and contains brasses of the 14th century, and paintings by Thornhill. There is an Independent chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Chinnor CP/AP       Oxfordshire AncC
Place: Chinnor

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.