Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHORLTON

CHORLTON, a chapelry in Eccleshall parish, Stafford: on the North Western railway, 1¾ mile SSE of Whitmore r. station, and 6 N by W of Eccleshall. It includes the township of Chorlton-Hill, and part of the hamlet of Stableford; and its post town is Whitmore, under Stoke-on-Trent. Acres, 1, 921. Real property, £3, 342. Pop., 484. Houses, 87. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £105.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is tolerable.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Eccleshall AP/CP       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Chapel Chorlton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.