Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CLIFTON (North)

CLIFTON (North), a township and a parish in Newark district, Notts. The township lies on the river Trent, 5 miles E of Tuxford r. station, and 12 N of Newark; and has a ferry on the Trent, and a post office, of the name of Clifton, under Newark. Real property, £1, 941. Pop., 369. Houses, 57. The parish contains also the townships of South Clifton, Harby, and Spalford. Acres, 5, 050. Real property, £7, 520. Pop., 1, 110. Houses, 244. The property is much subdivided. Gypsum is found. A red cliff on Clifton Hill, about a mile long, looks to be natural, but has yielded great numbers of sepulchral remains. Queen Eleanor died, in 1291, at Harby. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Harby, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £176.* Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln The church is good; and there are a chapel of ease, two Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school, and charities £27.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: North Clifton CP/AP       Newark PLU/RegD       Nottinghamshire AncC
Place names: CLIFTON     |     CLIFTON NORTH     |     NORTH CLIFTON
Place: North Clifton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.