Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CLUTTON

CLUTTON, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Somerset. The village stands near Highbury camp, 3 miles S of Pensford, and 6 ½ SW of Saltford r. station; and has a post office under Bristol. A railway in course of formation in 1869, from Frome to Bristol, passes near the village. The parish comprises 1, 636 acres. Real property, £5, 735; of which £1, 015 are in mines, and £152 in quarries. Pop., 1, 149. Houses, 252. The property is all in one estate. There are extensive collieries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £340.* Patron, the Earl of Warwick. The church is Norman, with a modern tower; and there are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. A school has £20 from endowment; and other charities £29. -The sub-district contains the parishes of Clutton, Chelwood, Farnborough, Timsbury, Paulton, and High Littleton. Acres, 7, 684. Pop., 6, 663. Houses, 1, 459. -The district comprehends also the sub-district of Midsomer-Norton, containing the parishes of Midsomer-Norton, Farrington, Gurney, Stone-Easton, Chilcompton, Radstock, and Camerton; the sub-district of Chew-Magna, containing the parishes of Chew-Magna, Chew-Stoke, Stowey, Norton-Malreward, Stanton-Drew, Publow, and St. Thomas-in-Pensford, and the ville of Norton-Hawkfield; and the sub-district of Harptree, containing the parishes of East Harptree, West Harptree, Nempnett-Thrubwell, Ubley, Litton, Compton-Martin, Cameley, Hinton-Blewett, and part of Chewton-Mendip. Acres, 47, 026. Poor-rates in 1862, £12, 847. Pop. in 1841, 25, 190; in 1861, 23, 721. Houses, 5, 017. Marriages in 1860, 113: births, 753, -of which 36 were illegitimate; deaths, 443, -of which 130 were at ages under 5 years, and 26 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1, 098; births, 7, 671; deaths, 4, 551. The places of worship in 1851 were 31 of the Church of England, with 9, 768 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 665 s.; 4 of Baptists, with 584 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 100 s.; 26 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 6, 195 s.; 6 of Primitive Methodists, with 530 s.; 6 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 840 s.; 1 of Brethren, with 100 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 31 attendants. The schools were 33 public day schools, with 2, 480 scholars; 52 private day schools, with 1, 020 s.; 53 Sunday schools, with 4, 299 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 6 s. The workhouse is in Clutton.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Clutton CP/AP       Clutton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Clutton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.