Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CUCKNEY

CUCKNEY, a village, a township, and a parish in Worksop district, Notts. The village stands 5½ miles S by W of Worksop r. station, and 8 N by E of Mansfield; has a post office under Mansfield; and was once a market-town. The township includes also the hamlets of Bonbusk and Milnthorpe. Pop., 540. Houses, 99. The parish contains likewise the townships of Norton, Holbeck, and Langwith; and bears the name of Norton-Cuckney. Acres, 5, 510. Rea property, £6, 889. Pop., 1, 454. Houses, 261. The property is all in one estate. A number of the inhabitants are employed in cotton and stuff mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £250.* Patron, Earl Mangers. The church is old but good; and there are a chapel of ease, a Wesleyan preaching-room, and a parochial school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Cuckney CP/Tn       Norton Cuckney AP/CP       Worksop PLU/RegD       Nottinghamshire AncC
Place names: CUCKNEY     |     NORTON CUCKNEY
Place: Cuckney

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.