Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DETHWICK, or Dethwick Lea

DETHWICK, or Dethwick Lea, a township-chapelry in Ashover parish, Derby; on the Cromford canal, near Matlock-Bath r. station, and 2 miles SE of Matlock. It includes Holloway hamlet; and its post town is Matlock-Bath. Acres, 2, 110. Real property, £3, 474. Pop., 935. Houses, 206. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £93. Patron, T. Hallowes, Esq. The church is good; and there are four dissenting chapels.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Ashover AP/Tn/CP       Derbyshire AncC
Place names: DETHWICK     |     DETHWICK LEA     |     DETHWICK OR DETHWICK LEA
Place: Dethick

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.