Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DISLEY, or Disley-Stanley

DISLEY, or Disley-Stanley, a township-chapelry in Stockport parish, Cheshire; on the Stockport and Whaley-Bridge railway, adjacent to the Peak Forest canal, at the boundary with Derbyshire, 6¼ miles SE of Stockport. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stockport. Acres, 2, 700. Real property, £8, 774; of which £180 are in quarries. Pop., 2, 265. Houses, 455. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £117. Patron, the Rector of S. The church was rebuilt in 1558; and has stained windows and other decorations. There are a national school and charities £7.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Disley Ch/CP       Stockport CP/AP       Cheshire AncC
Place names: DISLEY     |     DISLEY OR DISLEY STANLEY     |     DISLEY STANLEY
Place: Disley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.