Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DITCHINGHAM

DITCHINGHAM, a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk; near the Waveney Valley railway, 2 miles N by W of Bungay. It has a post office under Bungay, and a railway station. Acres, 2, 083. Real property, £5, 811. Pop., 1, 100. Houses, 247. The property is much sub-divided. D. Hall is the seat of the Bedingfields. There is a large silk mill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, 482.* Patrons, the Executors of the late Lord H. Howard. The church is good. A new church, a house of mercy, and an orphan home were built in 1865. There are a nat. school and charities £109.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Ditchingham CP/AP       Loddon and Clavering PLU/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place: Ditchingham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.