Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DITTON-WOOD

DITTON-WOOD, a parish in Newmarket district, Cambridge; at the south end of the Devil's Ditch, near the Newmarket railway, 3 miles S by E of Newmarket. Post town, Newmarket. Acres, 4, 899. Real property, £8, 026. Pop., 1, 375. Houses, 265. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £250. Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is old. There are a P. Methodist chapel and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Newmarket PLU/RegD       Cambridgeshire AncC
Place: Wood Ditton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.