Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DOWLAND

DOWLAND, a parish in Torrington district, Devon; near the river Torridge, 5½ miles NNE of Hatherleigh, and 8 W of Eggesford r. station. Post town, Dolton, North Devon. Acres, 1, 735. Real property, £1, 141. Pop., 205. Houses, 40. The manor belongs to Sir S. H. Northcote, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter-Value, £76.* Patron, Sir S. H. Northcote, Bart. The church is old, and has a square tower.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Dowland CP/AP       Torrington PLU/RegD       Devon AncC
Place: Dowland

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.