Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DUNKERTON

DUNKERTON, a parish in Bath district, Somerset; on the Fosse way and the Somerset canal, near the line of projected railway to Radstock, 5 miles SW by S of Bath. It contains Carlingcott; and has a post office under Bath. Acres, 1, 233. Real property, £2, 819. Pop., 1, 060. Houses, 228. The property is much sub-divided. A coal-field, which has its centre at Radstock, begins at Dunkerton; and the pits of it pass through three formations, lower oolite, has, and new red sand-stone, before reaching the coal. A child born in Dunkerton, in the present century, walked by himself when six months old; and measured 2 feet 9 inches in height, and 2 feet 4 inches round the chest, when twelve months old. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £420.* Patron, the Rev. F. Sowdon. The church was rebuilt in 1860; and there are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Dunkerton AP/CP       Bath PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Dunkerton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.